Pages - Menu

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Balenciaga and Alexander Wang! Excited Much? Thought So...

Hi my fashion followers. As I'm sure you can tell by the title, today I want to discuss Alexander Wang's debut collection with the Fashion House, Balenciaga. But before I get into that, let me just say that I did well on my midterms....very happy about that *thumbs up*


Anyway, moving from my not-so-exciting life, I was very impressed by the collection. I thought Alexander stayed true to his own ideas and designs, but infused it to accent the past designer of the house, Mr. Cristóbal previous work. First off, for those of us who didn't get a chance to watch the show as it was happening (which meant waking up at 3AM EST...yeah), I'm sure you can understand where I'm coming from when I say that I was upset that I didn't get to see how the crackled floors contrasted with the actual clothing. I thought that was a really cool concept to incorporate. Also, I liked that about the pieces themselves also. Wang integrated the crackled detailing in the clothes (the fur pieces actually) which gave an edgier vibe to it, in my opinion. I also really liked how he changed up the peplum by having it molded to the body and them flaring out...I don't think that's called a peplum...awkward. Anyway, another detail I liked was the very streamline, kind of geometrical, fitted dresses. I thought those were really chic. There was also a lot of volume added to his coats as well, which I also thought was really cool. And then, of course, I'm a sucker for black and white anything #TotesAmaze. Now, I didn't see the show so I don't know who the shoes held up, but just glancing at them, they aren't my favorite. They just looked difficult to work with and odd to me. But that's just me.


Overall though, I must say that I am very pleased with this collection. I think it hold true to Wang's design aesthetic. I like that it's wearable also, because as I've said before, designers need to make pieces that are wearable. But I do like the occasional "OMG" moment. So congratulations Mr. Alexander Wang, you've done well in my book.  


No comments:

Post a Comment